Health Benefits of Chocolates
Chocolates are the processed form of the Cocoa Beans, which are fermented, dried, cleaned to obtain two basic components of chocolates: cocoa solids and cocoa butter. In these days, usually chocolates are consumed in the form of sweet chocolate i.e. a combination of cocoa solids, cocoa butter, sugar & other fats. We can also find the milk chocolate, which additionally contains condensed milk or milk powder and white chocolate that contains sugar, milk, cocoa butter but no cocoa solids Cocoa solids contain alkaloids such as theobromine, phenethylamine and caffeine. These are linked to serotonin levels in the brain and also have physiological effects on the human body. The chocolates eaten in moderation can also lower the blood pressure, according to some research. As these cocoa beans are the key ingredient of chocolate which are the plant products, which ultimately means the chocolate contains many of the health benefits of dark vegetables. These benefits are because of Flavonoids, which acts as antioxidants that protect the body from aging caused by free radicals. These free radicals may cause the damage which concludes as a heart disease. Flavonoid produces nitric oxide, which helps to control blood pressure and also to balance certain hormones in the body. Dark chocolates are considered as the healthy one but even the bittersweet varieties may contain high in sugar, calories & fat. Here, we can define some benefits of chocolates for which we seems to be so curious about:
- Some researchers have concluded that eating chocolate can help in reducing the risk of certain Cardiovascular Problem.
- Lower Blood Pressure: Dark chocolates help in reducing blood pressure in both overweight & normal adults. And, studies have shown that individual having high blood pressure can reduce the problem with the consumption of small bar of dark chocolate every day.
- Lower Cholesterol level: In adults, dark chocolate helps in reducing the level of cholesterol. Some researchers have given few evidence that polyphenols in chocolate might slow down the oxidation of LDL cholesterol by up to 10 percent.
- Cocoa in chocolates helps to reduce stress hormones, which means less collagen breakdown in the skin and as a result fewer wrinkles.
- Chocolates also help in boosting up the Cognitive Abilities.
- Chocolates stimulate endorphin production, which enhance the feeling of pleasure.
- Presence of Serotonin in chocolates acts as an anti-depressant.
- Flavonols (i.e. the type of Flavinoids found in chocolates) helps in protecting skin from UV damage. Also, helps in improving skin hydration and thickness.
- Eating chocolates also help in doing math or also at least in counting.
- Chocolates also ensure the anti-cancer benefits because of presence of Flavinoids, which reduce the cell damage that can spur tumor growth.
As we discussed about the benefits of consuming chocolates which adds the advantages but still you can hardly find the advantages from chocolates which varies according to their ratios of ingredients. Researchers provided few indications regarding the portion matter of the cocoa in the chocolate and the amount of chocolate to be consumed, which says two to three ounces of dark chocolates with 70% or more cocoa a week is beneficial. According to Katherine Tallmadge a registered dietician and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, “More and more research is showing the advantages of consuming chocolates. The advantages associated are may be little but even those little advantages can make a difference for some people”.