Richard Linklater Biography
Quick Facts Richard Linklater
- NameRichard Linklater
- FatherCharles W. Linklater. Richard
- Birth PlaceHouston, Texas
- Profession Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- Net Worth$12 Million
- Married toChristina Harrison
- EducationBellaire High School, University of Sam Houston State
- ChildrenLorelei Linklater
- MotherDiane Margaret
Introduction, Early Life, and Career
Richard Linklater, a well-known director, producer and screenwriter, was born in Houston, Texas to parents Diane Margaret and Charles W. Linklater. Richard, a self-made writer and a director, is one of the most recognized people to have emerged in American independent film industry of the 90’s. Richard completed his early education from Huntsville high school at Huntsville, Texas and finished senior education at Bellaire High School. He joined University of Sam Houston State for his further studies but dropped out to work on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.
During the work, Richard used to read novels and frequently visit the theater in Houston which created enthusiasm in him for filmmaking. Richard used to save money to buy projector, camera, and some other editing equipment and then later went to Austin, Texas. He used to idolize filmmakers Yasujiro Ozu, Robert Bresson, Josef Von Sternberg ,Rainer Werner Fassbinder and Carl Theodor Dreyer. Richard joined Austin Community College to study film and filmmaking.
Richard started his filmmaking career through short films. Finally, he made his debut as a filmmaker through “It’s Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books”. After that, he worked in The Flowers of St. Francis, Andrei Rubley, Day of Wrath, The Last Temptation of Christ, Unfaithfully Yours, Pickpocket, School of Rock, and I Know Where I’m Going!. Richard collaborated with Lee Daniel and founded the Austin Film Society and started teaching film and film-making. His other most famous works include Boyhood, Before sunrise, Before sunset, Before midnight, Everyone wants some, and Dazed and Confused.
- Slacker (1991) was presented for Best Director at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- Before Sunrise(1995) won the Silver Bear for Best Director at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- Waking Life(2001) was presented for Best Director and Best Screenplay at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- Before Sunset (2004) was presented for Best Adapted Screenplay by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Best Screenplay at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- A Scanner Darkly (2006) – Won Best Austin Film by the Austin Film Critics Association.
- Me and Orson Welles (2008) – Won Best Austin Film by the Austin Film Critics Association.
- Bernie(2011) – Won Best Austin Film by the Austin Film Critics Association.
- Before Midnight(2013) was presented for Best Adapted Screenplay by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Best Screenplay at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- Boyhood(2014) was presented for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay by the Academy of Motion
Richard Linklater: Personal Life and Net Worth
The net worth of Richard Linklater is estimated to be $12 million. Richard is married to Christina Harrison and has a daughter with her, Lorelei Linklater. There is no information his any other relationships or affairs.