Tom Hanks Biography
An American actor and filmmaker, Tom Hanks is well-known for his comedy and dramatic roles in several hit movies such as Cast Away, Captain Phillips, The Green Mile, etc. His movie grossed more than $9 billion worldwide which make him the third highest-grossing actor in North America.
Hanks has married twice until now. Firstly, he got married to wife Samantha Lewes in 1978 and Later with Rita Wilson in 1988. Also read to know all about Tom Hanks’ award, wife, married life, marriage, career, early life, net worth, salary, children and much more.
Tom Hanks Early life and Education
Tom Hanks was born as Thomas Jeffrey Hanks on 9th July 1956 in Concord, California. He was born to a hospital worker mother, Janet Marylyn, and an itinerant cook father, Amos Mefford Hanks. His parents divorced in 1960 and he grew up along with his three siblings Sandra, a writer, Larry, professor, and Jim Hanks.
After completing high school from Skyline High School in Oakland, California, Tom studied theater at Chabot College in Hayward, California and later transferred to California State University. He also worked as an intern at the Great Lakes Theater Festival in Ohio and gain three-year experience in theater production.
During those days, Hanks also portrayed as Proteus in Shakespeare’s The Two Gentlemen of Verona which won the Cleveland Critics Circle Award for Best Actor in 1978. He was also ranked one of the “Top 10 College Dropouts” by Time magazine.
Tom Hanks Career
After collecting several years of experiences, Tom moved to New York and made his movie debut in He Knows you’re Alone in 1980. After featuring in several movies and few flops, he landed in the comedy movie Dragnet which rose him into fame. His major breakthrough came after featuring in the Jonathan Demme’s movie Philadelphia.
Despite acting, Tom has also produced several movies and documentaries such as From the Earth to the Moon, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific. Moreover, he has also collaborated with a movie director in the movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, Bridge of Spies, and The Post. Hanks has also published a book Uncommon Type in 2017.
Moreover, Tom Hanks is a stronger supporter of same-sex marriage, alternative fuels, and environmental causes. He is also an investor in electric vehicles and serves as campaign chairman of the Hidden Heroes Campaign of the Elizabeth Dole Foundation.
Tom Hanks Awards and Achievements
Tom outstanding performance earned him wide recognition and fame. His diligent performance earned him several awards and recognition which includes:
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his role in Philadelphia in 1993.
- An Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Philadelphia in 1993.
- Golden Globe, an Academy Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a People’s Choice Award for Best Actor for Forrest Gump in 1994.
- In 1995, Hanks became one of only two actors who won the Academy Award for Best Actor in consecutive years, with Spencer Tracy being the other.
- Tom received the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) in
- He received a Kennedy Center Honor in 2014.
- He received a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama, as well as the French Legion of Honor.
Tom Hanks Personal Life, Wife, Marriage, and Relationship
Tom has married twice until now. Firstly, he got married to an American actress Samantha Lewes in 1978. The couple welcomed two children, a son, Colin Hanks in 1977, and a daughter, Elizabeth Hanks in 1982. After nine years of marital relationship, the couple ended their relationship and divorced in 1987.
While he was in a marital relationship with Samantha, he met the actress, Rita Wilson in 1980 on the set of TV comedy Bosom Buddies and dated till 1982. Later they reunited in 1985 on the set of Volunteers. After getting a divorce from his first wife, Samantha, Tom Hanks married Rita Wilson in 1988 and welcomed two sons named as Chester Marlon “Chet” Hanks and Truman Theodore in 1995.
On 7th October 2013, Tom Hanks announced on The Later Show with David Letterman that he is suffering from the Type 2 diabetes called Diabetes mellitus which is a long-term metabolic disorder that is characterized by high blood sugar, insulin resistance and lack of insulin.
Tom Hanks Net worth
Tom earns the huge sum of money in his career. His diligent performance in several hit movies won the heart of millions of people as well as received a good sum of money. His movies have gross over $4.5 billion in North America and over $9 billion worldwide which made him the third highest all-time box office star in North America.
Youtube: Tom Hanks Net Worth;
Allocating information from several sources, we are able to find his earning and salary and is listed below:
- Salary from Toy Story 3 film $15,000,000
- Salary from Angels & Demons film salary $50,000,000
- The Da Vinci Code film salary $18,000,000
- Cast Away film salary $20,000,000
- Toy Story 2 film salary $5,000,000
- The Green Mile film salary $20,000,000
- You’ve Got Mail film salary $20,000,000
- Saving Private Ryan film salary $40,000,000
- Toy Story film salary $50,000
- Forrest Gump film salary $70,000,000
- The Bonfire of the Vanities film salary $5,000,000
- The ‘Burbs film salary $3,500,000
- Big film salary $1,750,000
- Punchline film salary $5,000,000
- Splash film salary $70,000
Tom Hanks purchased $26 million spectacular mansion in the Pacific Palisades in California in 2010, $3.5 million house in Texas Lake, and also owns several other house and mansion. His car collection includes Chevrolet Tahoe, Fiat 126, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Prius, and Toyota RAV4 EV. Tom net worth as per 2018 is estimated above $350 million.